How to Activate Your IKEDC MAP Prepaid Meters
If you have been given this device after fixing your prepaid meter, and given some class tutorial on how to use it but still have not gotten it working, don’t worry, I didn’t get it too. I figured it myself and I am here to help others. If you are yet to get your IKEDC prepaid meter from the MAP project, don’t rush, head down to my Medium article on what I went through to get mine.
Things I think you should know
- Your meter number is on the card that comes with the above device, you will use it for payments further on
- Your account number is still your account number on your bill, which is supposed to be linked to this meter number as one customer
- The batteries are used to power up the device if there is no electricity
- The cable is used to power up the device if there is power, and also, the cable is used to communicate with the meter and the CIU-PC1 device
- The CIU-PC1 device should not be plugged to a generator or a power source that is not linked to the meter, not on voltage regulators too, else it won’t work.
Activating the Prepaid Meter for the first time
If you are reading here, it means you have gotten the 3 sets of digit from IKEDC office close to you on activating your prepaid meter. If not, please head to their office to get one.
Only use the CIU-PC1 device when there is power in the vicinity. (i.e. If your meter still has the pre-loaded credit reading, or it has finished but there is light in the meter)
Pre-loaded credit has finished. There is power in the meter but not in my apartment
- Put in the batteries in this order, from inside out; Bottom, Top, Bottom, Top. See image below, as this confused me as well.
Cover and plug into a direct wall socket. There is no light in it, I know (move back to things I said you should know above)
I still have power, my pre-loaded credit is still loading
Do not put in the battery, there is no need. Just plug into a direct wall socket
- Put in the first 11 digits, which is supposed to be same as your meter number. Press the red button.
You should see a CONNECT message then SUCCESS within 5secs
- Put in the second 20 digits then press the RED button.
You will see another CONNECT then a beep showing something similar to 15t or whatever, as long as it is not REJECT or FAILED
- Put in the third 20 digits, then press the RED button.
You will see another CONNECT then a SUCCESS message
Congratulations, you have finally set up your IKEDC Prepaid Meter.
Don’t unplug it yet, if you want to load the credit. Once unplugged, it is disconnected from the meter. Now follow the instructions on the manual that comes with the CIU-PC1 device to perform other operations like loading credit and checking balance. Press 009, then the RED button to check balance.
Once you plug it in, always put in your meter number first, then press the RED button to connect to the meter before performing any other transactions.
I was really frustrated in setting this up, which is why I made this article for anyone else out there being frustrated same. This is Nigeria!